Today is Wishbone Day! It's a special day to raise awareness for Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI). This day is very dear to my heart, because I have OI.
Not many people are familiar with OI, and that needs to change. Here is some info about me [due to OI], that you may, or may not know:
- I have type I [which is the most mild type, there are 4]. Type 1 is the mildest form, followed by Type IV, then Type III, Type II is fatal at birth :(
- The whites of my eyes are blue [This is called blue sclera].
- I have had 15 major broken bones. This is not including fingers and toes.
- I have a rod in my right femur from bowing, and a rod in my spine from scoliosis.
- I use a wheelchair for "long distance" activities.
- I wear braces on my legs from my shin down.
- I cannot run, jump, hop, skip...however, I was a kick ass cheerleader for 7 years :)
- Any child I have has a 50% chance of inheriting the gene. Both of my sweet boys are OI free. I cannot tell you how fortunate and blessed that makes me feel.
- If a child of mine did have OI, they would have the same type as myself.
- I have some hearing loss and have had surgery in each ear to help correct it.
- I am considered tall for someone who has OI, and I'm only 5 feet.
- And most importantly, I have NEVER let OI get in my way of anything I have ever wanted. I feel because my bones break easily, I am so much stronger in other aspects of my life.
Please help spread OI awareness. Without awareness, there will never be a cure. To educate yourself, visit: