A Case of the Sickies | The Momma Diaries

Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Case of the Sickies

I have been so unbelievably lucky with Lincoln's health.  He has really never been sick, with the exception of a few minor colds. 

Two weeks ago, I found a tick behind Lincoln's left ear.  It had bitten him, and was the ugly deer tick that carries Lyme disease.  Jared pulled the tick out of Lincoln, and we put it in a bottle in case the pedi wanted it for testing.  I'm not going to lie.  I freaked out.  Jared was calm, but this Momma was freaking out!!!

I called Lincoln's pediatrician the next morning.  They asked me a series of questions, and told me we basically had to wait.  I was told Lyme disease won't show up in blood work until 14 days after the tick bite. 

Last Friday, one week after the bite, Lincoln woke up with a 103.2 fever.  Again, I panicked.  My sweet boy has never had a fever this high.  I called the pedi.  Again I was told it was best to not bring him in for blood work, because it was still too early, and there was really no point in putting him through that.  The pedi told me it most likely wasn't Lyme disease, and just a virus. 

We were at my Mom's house for the weekend, so Lincoln lived it up and got spoiled more than he normally does.  He even enjoyed breakfast in bed...which, he LOVED!!!

Lincoln ended up being better by Sunday morning.  He lost his fever.  Things were looking great!

Wednesday morning, he awoke with another fever.  It was 101.5.  I called the pedi, yet again.  This time they asked me to bring him in.  Not only did my sweet little Lincoln have a fever, he also was limping, another sign of Lyme disease.  Yes.  You guessed it.  I was panicking.  Again.

We had to bring him to a different office location than we normally go to because ours was booked.  We were there two freaking hours.  One of those hours we were just waiting to be seen.  It was awful.  The pedi evaluated Lincoln to rule out an ear infection, or anything else.  He watched him walk, and agreed he was limping.  He sent us for the dreaded blood work. 

To say the blood work was awful, would be an understatement.  Jared had to physically restrain my screaming, terrified, little baby.  When we finally came home, Lincoln fell fast asleep on his Momma.

The pedi called me back later that evening and said that everything they tested hi m for came back normal, however the Lyme results won't be in until early next week.  In the meantime, we just keep doing what we've been doing. 

Lincoln is doing much better today.  His temp is only 99.5, but he's still not 100% himself.  Being a Mommy is pretty darn scary!  I just want to know what's going on with my baby :(


  1. Poor Lincoln. And poor you!!!!

    I hope he feels better quickly!

  2. Oh my gosh, that is so scary Kami. I will be praying for Linc. What's the next step if he does have it?

  3. So sorry :( Poor Lincoln. He looks like such a big boy! gosh they grow so fast! Hope he is better soon.

  4. Kristin - He would be on antibiotics for a few weeks. The "not knowing" is killing me :(


Comments make me happy! I love to hear from my readers :)

Get Widget