What should I do?! | The Momma Diaries

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What should I do?!

Okay. I'm officially losing my mind. I am researching "thyroid nodules suspicious for papillary carcinoma" like a mad woman. After reading many many articles, most seem to say the same thing, "85% of these suspicious nodules end up being non-cancerous." Which would then mean I'd have surgery for no reason at all, other than to lose my thyroid and go on medication for the rest of my life. One article in particular has peaked my curiosity. It goes into great depth saying that if you have any sort of thyroid dysfunction, including these suspicious nodules, then you should see a thyroidoligist, rather than an endocrinologist. This certainly has me wondering. I located two doctors, both are in Boston. I am contemplating calling their offices tomorrow to see when they could get me in. It seems silly to have to go through surgery if I do not need it. But, then again, why would the endo recommend me for the thyroidectomy if he didn't feel I needed it? Ugh - I am in quite the predicament. I must say, it was so much easier when I was a kid and I had my parents to make all of these difficult decisions for me. What if I choose the wrong option? What if I have the surgery, and it's not cancer? I'm not asking for it to be cancer, BUT it just seems unnecessary to have the surgery if I'm okay. I have my consult with the surgeon on February 12th. That is only next Thursday. I am so unsure of what to do!


  1. That is a difficult decision!! What if you call the docs tomorrow and see if they have an appointment asap to talk to them before your consult with the surgeon.... Then you could have all bases covered and have the info you need to make the decision.

  2. The nodule should come out anyway,but just the lobe where it is located; if the nodule is encapsulated, no additional treatment is required, even if cancer cells are present inside the nodule

  3. I honestly think you should have it removed, so you'll never have to worry about it. But, I ALSO think you should get another opinion, just in case.

  4. ... there's never anything wrong with getting a second opinion. it cannot hurt to call a different doctor, and just see what they have to say about it all.

  5. I think you should get a second opinion. For sure. Why not see a person who specializes and that gland. I know the endo is giving you his best opinion...but it's only that. His opinion. GL. I hope the decision becomes easier, and doesn't weigh so heavily on your mind.


Comments make me happy! I love to hear from my readers :)

Get Widget