Well, my results from my thyroid nodule biopsy were not what I was hoping for. The results came up suspicious for papillary carcinoma. My Endocrinologist advised that I have a complete thyroidectomy. He did tell me that although I have suspicious cells and have to have them removed, my prognosis is good...if that makes any sense. Next, I asked him what we were to do if I as pregnant, as there is a possibility that I might be. He told me if that was the case they would do the surgery in the second trimester. He wouldn't want it done in the first tri because the risk of spontaneous miscarriage. In the third tri, there is a risk of preterm labor. And, he wouldn't want to wait until after the pregnancy, because he said pregnancy affects your thyroid hormone levels to begin with. I asked him if it would be a problem if we had to wait those few months for me to be in the second tri and he said "absolutely not"...which was a relief. I have my consult with the surgeon on February 12. I am anxious to see what he said regarding the procedure. The endocrinologist told me I would have to spend a night in the hospital and the process is relatively an easy recovery. I am slightly relieved to at least know what is going on with my body...but I wish my results came back better! I will keep you all updated on this whole process.
On another note....many of you may not know, but I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta. In simple terms it means "brittle bones." I have type 1, which is considered a mild case. Any children Jared and I have has a 50% chance of inheriting my condition. We have talked about this in depth many of times and have both agreed that we would be okay with raising a baby with OI. Don't get me wrong, I would be so ecstatic if our baby didn't have my gene, but at the same time, I think I would be the best person to have a baby with OI, having the condition myself. Our child would only be able to inherit my type 1 gene, which is also a good thing. The way I look at it is, I had a wonderful childhood, granted I broke a few bones along the way, but I was a very very happy kid. I love my life now and wouldn't change it for the world...well maybe the part where they have to slice open my throat to remove my thyroid ;) Any baby we have with or without OI will be loved and we will give that child the best life that he/she can have.
So, today after I told my Father inlaw about my prognosis regarding my thyroid...I told him that if I was pregnant they would wait to do the surgery until second tri. He said to me, "you're playing with high odds" (meaning the 50% chance that I will pass my gene on to our baby). He then said "you need to think of what's fair for a child." I was flabbergasted! I didn't say much, because really, what could I say?! Seriously, for me to be in this world, I either had to have OI, or there would be no Kami. If we have a baby with OI, would we want to trade him in for one that didn't have OI? The answer would be "no." That wouldn't be "our" baby that we were meant to have. Some people really need to think before they open their mouths. Our decision does not affect him at all. It is a decision that only Jared and I can make because it's our life, not his or anyone else's. I haven't told Jared yet about his father's little comment because he's outside working on our house, but I do plan on it!
Well, I think I've blogged enough for one day....so much new info to share! I'm honestly praying I'm pregnant right now. I think in a way it would help me deal with all of the crazy things happening in my life. I don't know if that sounds selfish or not...but it's true.
Pin It Now!